Ancaster Centurions v Navenby JFC U10’s

17th November 2013


U10’s throw away 2 goal lead

The match was switch from a home tie to an away fixture at Ancaster due to a GYFL Tournament being held at Navenby.

This has always been a close game as both teams are closely matched, last season resulted in two 2-1 wins for Navenby and a 2-2 draw in the Shield with Ancaster winning 2-1 on penalties so we all knew it would be a close affair.

First Half

Navenby started off the brighter of the two teams with some of the Ancaster players looking nervous. Both teams were putting some nice passes together, but it was Navenby who had the cutting edge and found themselves 1-0 up within the first 5 minutes with a lovely through ball from Harry to Kieran who turned and volleyed the ball into the net. This seemed to shake Ancaster who were suddenly and the back foot as Lucas popped up to make it 2-0.

Ancaster came close to pulling a goal back in the first quarter but Harry their number 7 fired the ball over the bar, this should have been a warning to the Navenby team who up until that point had been in complete control.

In the second quarter Navenby changed the team around and seemed to lose the fluidity of the first quarter they were soon under pressure as Ancaster started to ask questions, which were soon answered as Josh pounced on a loose ball in the Navenby penalty area and slotted the ball in the back of the net to make the score 2-1.

Half time

The second half carried on the same way as the first half ended with Ancaster looking for an equaliser and pushing the Navenby team back into their own half.

Navenby looked the weaker of the two teams going into the last 15 minutes, but as Ancaster pushed for the equaliser they became vulnerable to the counter attack and were nearly punished with ten minutes left when Cameron was through on goal but Daniel the Ancaster No1 dived at his feet in a movement of bravery that kept his team into the game. Moments later he was called into action again as Harry ran down the left wing and shot, Daniel saved the day again as he managed to get his hands on it and tip it over the bar.

With just a minute to go Ancaster threw everything they had at Navenby with Regan making some great runs and passes which lead to the first of two corners for the home team. The first corner was dealt with well and resulted in a goal kick and with only 30 seconds on the clock should have been the end of the game and 3 more points on the board to Navenby but the ball was given away cheaply and resulted in yet another corner with just 15 seconds left. All the Ancaster players came up for the corner, as the ball floated in Joe got his head onto the ball and nodded it in to make the score 2-2. Probably a fair result but definitely two points lost by Navenby who in many ways should count themselves lucky not to have gone home empty handed.

Full Time: Ancaster Centurions 2 – 2 Navenby JFC

Next match Ancaster Gladiators v Navenby JFC – 24th November 2013


Our Affiliates

Our Sponsors